0800 043 4161
or 0207 043 4161 from a mobile

Changing names after separating from your spouse

There is a common misconception that you must wait to be formally divorced before you can revert to the name you were using before getting married or forming a civil partnership. This is not the case. You can legally change your name at any time and for any reason, which includes wanting to change back to the name you were using before marriage or civil partnership following the break up of your relationship with your wife or partner.

In order to change back to the name you were using before marriage or forming a civil partnership you simply need to execute (sign) a deed poll and then send the document to every organisation which holds your personal details on record (your bank, doctor, employer, the DVLA, etc.). The organisations will then update their records and issue new documentation (bank card, driving license, etc.) if required.

Changing your title

If you changed your title to Mrs following marriage or forming a civil partnership you can revert to Miss or Ms at the same time as changing your name. When completing the application form for a deed poll you just need to provide your current title and the title you would like to change to. There is no additional charge for changing a title.

Please note: even if you have reverted back to the name and title you were using before marriage you must still correctly declare that you are married if asked your marital status by any organisation such as your bank, credit card company or insurance provider.

Legally change your name today!

Cost Calculator

Use this tool to calculate the total cost of your deed poll application:

Deed poll type
Number of copies
Delivery method
Estimated delivery
Total cost
- Apply now
Need help or advice? Call us on 0207 043 4161, use our live chat service or request a call back

Request a call back from
a member of our team

Deed Poll Services logo

Please complete the form below to request a call back from someone in our team who will be able to provide information and advice on changing your name.

Please note: our office is currently closed so you may not receive a call back until the next working day.