0800 043 4161
or 0207 043 4161 from a mobile

Changing your name after getting divorced

This article explains what you need to do in order to change back to your maiden name once your divorce is finalised. If you want to change back to using your maiden name and you are not yet divorced, please read our article titled Reverting to your maiden name after separation.

Do I need a deed poll?

If you originally used your marriage certificate as documentary evidence of your change of name you will be able to revert to the name you were using previously by presenting your decree absolute to all of the organisations which hold your personal records and you will not need a deed poll.

If, however, you had to execute a deed poll in order to achieve your current name (e.g. you double-barrelled), you will not be able to revert to your former name using your decree absolute. You must execute another deed poll to officially change your name back to the one you were using before getting married.

Note: You can only use a decree absolute to change back to the name you were using immediately before marriage. If you want to make any other change (adding a middle name, changing to your birth name which is different to the name you were using before marriage, etc.) you will need to execute a deed poll.

Changing your title

You can change your title (from Mrs to Miss or Ms) at the same time as changing your name. Simply state in the letter you send with your decree absolute that you also wish to revert to the title you were using previously. If you are changing your name by deed poll we can also include a change of title declaration at no extra cost.

Have questions?

If you have any doubts over whether you need a deed poll in order to revert to your maiden name please do not hesitate to get in touch. We can be contacted by phone, text, e-mail or through our live chat service.

Legally change your name today!

Cost Calculator

Use this tool to calculate the total cost of your deed poll application:

Deed poll type
Number of copies
Delivery method
Estimated delivery
Total cost
- Apply now
Need help or advice? Call us on 0207 043 4161, use our live chat service or request a call back

Request a call back from
a member of our team

Deed Poll Services logo

Please complete the form below to request a call back from someone in our team who will be able to provide information and advice on changing your name.

Please note: our office is currently closed so you may not receive a call back until the next working day.